View Single Post
Old 24th January 2011, 10:29 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
I saw it at my local Cineworld and you’re right, there’s like three or four screenings a day, which is a lot less than many other “big” releases. Though it is what would usually be considered art house, the films heading towards a haul of $100m in the US, so you’d think there’d be a bigger splash in the UK – the screening I attended yesterday was at 3:15 and was sold out! Completely out of the ordinary, even on a Sunday, at my local.

I guess it boils down to the time of year – there are stacks of films out: all the awards-consideration types of films and big budgeters like Green Hornet too. Just not enough screens. I still can’t believe, with all the hype it’s had, that BLUE VALENTINE’s not paying in my local cinema – Optimum only saw fit to put it on 36 screens nationwide! None of my local cinemas are showing the new Carpenter flick, THE WARD, either.
I suppose it all goes down to a multiplex's raison d'être which is to make money. Why would they put on four shown as a day of Blue Valentine or The Ward which would attract a small audience when they could put on The Green Hornet (in 3D, not 2D) which will have a much bigger audience and therefore more cash?

Give it a couple of months and these films will be in your local arthouse cinema so all is not lost!