View Single Post
Old 29th January 2011, 02:09 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Tried watching Irreversible a few times but each time the camera work just give me a headache and i switch of and go for get some annadin, I cant watch it without feeling sea sick lol.
Yup, whilst this technique is certainly effective at producing a sense of disorientation it also seems to have the effect of causing a good number of potential viewers to bail out before the film has really got going (personally, I found it tested my patience more than my stomach). But considering the following bit of trivia (taken from IMDb) it seems that this was quite probably intentional:

"The first 30 minutes of the film has a background noise with a frequency of 28Hz (low frequency, almost inaudible), similar to the noise produced by an earthquake. In humans, it causes nausea, sickness and vertigo. It was the main cause of people walking out of the theaters during the first part of the film in places like Cannes and San Sebastian. In fact, it was added with the purpose of getting this reaction."

Needless to say, I'm actually somewhat glad I missed out on this in the cinema; it was intense enough on a home system!