View Single Post
Old 27th March 2011, 04:13 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
this is a shame...arrow are going to get heavily criticised for this no matter what.
obviously it's too late to cry over it and the release will go ahead as planned but i think in future if a film isn't available in the OAR then dont bother, this kind of situation begs for massive backlash that will hurt sales and the company's reputation in general.
i will still buy it being that i can't order online imports and i've never actually seen the film, but it will be nagging away at me the whole time i'm watching it that i am seeing a compromised version, and it will nag at me until finally i can replace it with a superior print.

dear arrow, all the bells and whistles are great, but priority A numero one at all costs is get the film itself right, or don't bother. all or nothing.
Honestly, if you've never seen this before try to pick up Blue Undergrounds DVD of it on ebay. It's a fantastic transfer, and I absolutely cannot picture this film being any good cropped. You gotta remember it was one of Storaro's first films, so he absolutely filled the frame and experimented with composition as any young enthusiastic artist would. He's mad to do this. I would recommend against watching it cropped personally.

I agree completely with all you said, but in this case it isn't really Arrow's fault. We can't tell how far along the process they found out that they could only get this version of it. Although I don't see many people buying this at all. It's not a title that horror fans would take a blind buy on (because it isn't horror), and those that know it would never watch it cropped.