View Single Post
Old 30th March 2011, 08:01 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trench View Post
When I worked selling televisions our shop had one of these. A 56" Philips with a 2.35:1 ratio screen and two-channel Ambi-Light. It was a ridiculous price, and even when the price was slashed to half-price to get rid of it, it was still a ridiculous price!

We had a look at some movies on it (Suspiria, Once Upon A Time In The West) and yeah, they looked quite good filling the whole screen, but it wasn't spectacular. The black bars at the top and bottom of a 2.35:1 framed movie doesn't bother me in the slightest. And as Paul noted above, everything else you watched on it was pillar-boxed. The picture quality wasn't so hot on that screen either. Worthless and gimmicky.
Ugly, ugly tvs. Imagine watching Universal horror films on a tv that wide!

As for how Storaro will reframe the film, I watched my Blue Underground disc today and there are scenes where Musante is on the extreme left on the frame as he is unknowingly followed by someone on the extreme right. There's no way to reframe those shots, and if either character is cut out the scene will become as nonsensical as the Deep Red 'statue talk' was in the VHS days.