View Single Post
Old 6th September 2011, 11:32 AM
Cult Acolyte

Four Flies on Grey Velvet

As I’m only now starting to appreciate the early work of Argento, this didn’t carry any ‘lost classic’ anticipation for me. I did have a blast with it though, enjoyed it at least as much as The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (Deep Red still way out in front). The copy I watched sported atrocious sound/picture quality, but the skill and sense of the gleeful experimentation of the director easily shone through. Some top scare sequences, and I particularly enjoyed the batty motive given by the killer at the end! Can't wait to revisit this on a better quality release - C'mon Shameless, pull yer finger out!

Michael Brandon starred in something I worked on last year. At the time, I didn’t really know him from anything. Would’ve been cool to mention this to him and find out if he has any memories of working with Argento. I wonder if it’s something he’d rather forget – I came across David Hemmings’ autobiography in the library the other day, and looked up Deep Red in the index. The title gets a mention on 2 pages, and all he talks about is the cavalier attitude to sound recording in Italy!