View Single Post
Old 25th September 2011, 03:46 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phurious View Post
I went to an all nighter triple bill of the Female Prisoner films at my local cinema (Rio, Dalston) courtesy of Cigarette Burns Cinema and these chaps: Scala Forever.

Well it was amazing to see these beauties on the big screen with a hardcore bunch of all nighter peeps.

The films were absolutely fantastic and I loved them all, but the first: Scorpion impressed me the most and I can't believe that Nicolas Winding Refn wasn't in some way informed by it before he made Bronson.

Jailhouse 41 went down a slightly more eccentric, surreal route, but also had a big impact.

And in retrospect I think that Beast Stable was probably the oddest of the bunch. Opening with the heroine running through the crowded streets of Tokyo with a severed arm handcuffed to her was a masterful stroke of 'Eh?'.

Feeling pretty knackered though as my little boy didn't want me to have any sleep - he woke me up an hour after I got back at 7am
Coooool I was there in spirit, doing my best Meiko Kaji death stare ... was the t-shirt design any good?

Agree with you on the first one being the best of the bunch. Never thought about the Winding Refn comparrison, but I can see what you mean. And yeah, the Beast Stable title sequence is a series highlight (think the rest of the film lacks the punch of the other two though). Still got fourth film Grudge Song to watch. It's the first one not to be directed by Shunya Ito, so will be interesting to see how it compares in style . . .