View Single Post
Old 16th October 2011, 12:56 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDogWeTrust View Post
Anyone suggested the films of Ed Wood yet?
I mean he has been dubbed the 'worst director of all time'
But I personally like his stuff...I would much prefer to watch Night Of The Ghouls or Glenn Or Glenda then something like those Transformers movies (The live action ones, Not the animated one)
Ed Wood is a real hero of mine. No question his films are bad but in an era when making a film was not as simple as it is today (get three mates, one with a decent digital camera and start shooting) he almost single-handedly made full length feature films. Okay, at least one of them didn't get seen for 20 or so years because he couldn't afford the lab fees and they held on to the negative, but he got them made. He did the best he could with such a strong belief in himself that you have to just sit back and admire the chutzpah of the man. For all their awfulness they aren't 'knowingly' bad He doesn't wink at the audience as so many 'bad', no-budget film makers do these days. There's not a cinematic reference to any previous films in his entire ouvre.

For a film to be truly bad it has to have no excuses. There should be money, and an experienced crew, and everyone involved should know better* - and still end up making an unwatchable pile of crap.

Having said all that the amateur 'horror' wankfest that is Zombie Women of Satan is my current worst film of all time, though Mutant Chronicles is coming up fast on the outside edge.

*Notwithstanding William Goldman's dictum that 'Nobody knows anything'.