Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Salem's Lot You a fan?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Salem's Lot You a fan?

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th February 2013, 12:07 AM
Cultist

I'd read that Argento was at one time going to direct this. Think it would have proven very interesting if he had. Still, Hooper did a great job on this, as evidenced by the fact that the film still stands up today.
Old 13th February 2013, 06:45 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

This and IT must be the 2 main films that really got me into horror back in the early 90s. Salem's Lot is still one of my favourites... It's just got a brilliant atmosphere and is unique in being 3 hours and done as a series, plenty of time for character development. Oh and then there's Straker and Mr. Barlow!!

The sequel is great fun too, with Michael Moriarty, his brattish kid and a weird old man running round 'Salem's Lot blasting crap out of vampires and setting barns on fire

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 13th February 2013, 10:52 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert W View Post
I'd read that Argento was at one time going to direct this. Think it would have proven very interesting if he had. Still, Hooper did a great job on this, as evidenced by the fact that the film still stands up today.
Now THAT really could have become very interesting, since colours play a very big part in the book and we all know how the good Dario of yesteryears was a master of colour... How do I know? Well, I did my university finish thesis about Stephen King's Salem's Lot in the tradition of the classic vampire tale (or something like that) - fled the university before I could get a result though, never looked back, but I dug deep into Salem's Lot and it got better and better!
Old 14th February 2013, 08:52 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yep an Argento take would have been interesting back in '79,but going by today's efforts...?

Hooper did a grand job anyway.
On his CV,this is second only to that classic powertool movie......

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 5th March 2013, 05:50 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I watched this in daylight on Sunday afternoon!

Was surprised to see the missus sitting down and watching as well,as she hadn't seen it since I had it on video.

Danny Glick is still the creepiest little bastard on the block!
Beyond72, Rik, Justin101 and 2 others like this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 20th March 2013, 03:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I've re-read the book again over the last couple of days whilst staying with my son in hospital, still had the power to scare me, even though I've read it a few times over the last 20 years.
Decided to watch the film again last night, Ralphie Glick at his brother's window is still one of the scariest scenes in any horror film! It's long overdue a blu ray release
oaxaca and trebor8273 like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!