Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th March 2011, 07:52 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

My wife and I went to Venice for our honeymoon, actually. Went in the August, hottest time of the year, and I can hold my hand on heart and tell you it did not stink at all. We were told the same too!

A friend of ours lived in Venice for a year or so and they mentioned how great is in the winter months.

Just thought of another film that exploits the city's locations well - Designated Victim...
Old 9th March 2011, 07:56 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
You have impeccable taste sir.

It's one of those films that rewards you with something new every time you watch it.

I'm dying to watch it again,but I'll wait until the BD arrives.

What do you all reckon?
Venice makes for a brilliant cinematic setting,don't it?
I also really want to watch the film again and want to wait for the BD but I suspect that delay will get the better of me and I will re-watch my special edition DVD.

I think the last time I saw it was after David Lean's Summertime in which Kathryn Hepburn enjoys a romantic holiday in Venice, which looks absolutely gorgeous and a great place to visit. (Summertime was David lean's first film in colour and the cinematography couldn't be different to that in Don't Look Now!)
Old 9th March 2011, 07:58 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
My wife and I went to Venice for our honeymoon, actually. Went in the August, hottest time of the year, and I can hold my hand on heart and tell you it did not stink at all. We were told the same too!

A friend of ours lived in Venice for a year or so and they mentioned how great is in the winter months.

Just thought of another film that exploits the city's locations well - Designated Victim...
Christ,yeah,so it is.

Would LOVE to go to Venice in winter.
That's it.Kids are out on their arses as soon as they hit 16!

Wonder why travel agents are adamant it stinks.....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 9th March 2011, 07:59 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:

There must be a conspiracy amongst travel agents to put people off going - maybe they don't get paid commission for Venice.

I know a few people who have been since, and they have all said it was fantastic and not smelly in the slightest.

Quote:
Good choice. Although, I was never a fan of this when I first saw it many years ago. It wasn't until Shameless released it and I watched it again that I actually enjoyed it - guess I needed a second viewing for it to agree with me.
Old 9th March 2011, 08:00 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I also really want to watch the film again and want to wait for the BD but I suspect that delay will get the better of me and I will re-watch my special edition DVD.

I think the last time I saw it was after David Lean's Summertime in which Kathryn Hepburn enjoys a romantic holiday in Venice, which looks absolutely gorgeous and a great place to visit. (Summertime was David lean's first film in colour and the cinematography couldn't be different to that in Don't Look Now!)
Hold out Nos.If all goes to plan,it's April the 4th!-Not long!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 9th March 2011, 08:01 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
Hold out Nos.If all goes to plan,it's April the 4th!-Not long!
If only The Wicker Man was released at the same time.
Contender for best Brit double bill ever!

Old 9th March 2011, 08:07 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I wasn't overly struck by DV the first time I saw it, either but absolutely loved it second time around. It's definitely one of my favourite EuroCult thrillers and IMO the best film Shameless has released to so far.
Old 9th March 2011, 08:19 PM
Cult Rookie

A great movie.
Been years since I have enjoyed this.
Looking forward to the Blu-Ray release.
One I can actually watch with the good-lady without her getting all ("oh not another -Fulci!" or me realising twenty minutes in I really shouldn't be watching this film with her!)
Old 2nd July 2011, 04:31 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Now that the Blu Ray's arrived,let's fire up this thread again!

Old 4th July 2011, 04:42 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Watched the Blu Ray of this last night and I'm glad to report that it looks astounding.Optimum have done sterling work here.
I don't often watch many extras on disc,but I did with this set.
It's brilliant that so many people involved look back on it with such high regards.

BTW-That was a wig Donald Sutherland wore!

You learn something new every day......
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!