Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1980's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=553)
-   -   Cannibal Holocaust (1980) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1980s/412-cannibal-holocaust-1980-a.html)

Angel 31st May 2008 11:10 AM

Jenifer probably meant to say cut rather than banned.

These films were once banned Jenifer but not by the BBFC. There would be no reason for the BBFC to ban the films as they are very "cuttable".

vipco 31st May 2008 11:18 AM

jenifer8, I had the exact same dissusion word for word with Kameron on another thread.
I withdraw that post as I could see it was going nowhere.

All I can say is this,
I enjoy the Cannibal films, I cant understand how a film fan can call the work of respected directors of any genre ' Trash,' have you no respect for any directors vision, or point. ? You obviously dont know the story that led to Deodato making Holocaust and you obviously can't read film or else you wouid see the message the film rather clearly puts across. And its not 'were the real cannibals'.
Holocaust contains the scenes it does to bring us into the savage life of the jungle, a world we as Europeans can't comprehend ,so those scenes help us realise the savery of life in this environment very quickly. . , It also has these scenes for another very valid reason, if you watch the film, maybe this message may become clear to you. If you still don't get the message then I suggest you run the title through Wikipedia.
I can fully understand Deodato's anger that prompted him to make the film so strong .

To call for a whole sub genre of films to be banned you must be very Pro Censorship.
There's lots of films that contain similar acts as those commited in Holocaust such as rape for one, so would you also want films as diverse as LHOTL to Venus in Furs to be banned, cause rape features in both those films yet they are very different viewing experience's. .
You cant ban one group of films without it having a knock on effect on a hell of alot of other types of film.
I enjoy Cannibal films in both uncut and cut form but I prefer them uncut and I make no appoligies for doing so.
If you wish to discuss the Cannibal films futher i'll be quite happy to but only when you are willing to look at the film's as a full experience .
Did you know that a well known Cannibal film shot scenes of a crocodile being killed in a crocodile farm, using qualified butchers , doing their every day job, who they paid to dress as natives then inserted it in to the film as jungle footage.
When ever you know the full facts , come back as i'd love to here your views then , as currently there identical, word for word to another member on this forum who also ranted without doing any reseach on the subject.

NossB 31st May 2008 11:24 AM

Cannibal Holocaust is a classic movie, it's a shame that it gets vilified by people who haven't really seen it. The animal cruelty in Apocalypse Now shocked me more when I first watch it even though it was in the context of the story.

vipco 31st May 2008 12:09 PM

I am in no way trying to start a row with J8, but I don't want to get stuck in pointless posting about animal cruelty with someone who can only see a film such as CH as animal snuff, when infact its a film which is putting across a very valid message.

Im sorry for being blunt in my last post but I wanted to put my point across in a way that will prevent alot of pointless posts focusing on 4mins approx out of a 90+ min movie.
Untill you can come back and discuss the movie as a whole , in a construtive way , I withdraw from any further comment on the film as I dont think its good for the forum to contine this debate when you cant see the whole movie , only those 4 or 5mins max of it.

NossB 31st May 2008 01:04 PM

Debate is good for the soul.

siccoyote 31st May 2008 03:59 PM

Didn't take long for 'jenifer8' to get banned.

I think some people can get a bit wound up about a few animals that died before they were born.

siccoyote 31st May 2008 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipco (Post 7013)
Did you know that a well known Cannibal film shot scenes of a crocodile being killed in a crocodile farm, using qualified butchers , doing their every day job, who they paid to dress as natives then inserted it in to the film as jungle footage.

Last Cannibal World looks like an interesting one, I haven't seen it.
Of course the whole debate of killing crocodiles even when farmed is another matter.

Angel 31st May 2008 06:28 PM

Although HOLOCAUST was cut by 5m 44s here only 2m 41s of cuts were to its scenes of animal cruelty. Compare that with Deep River Savages cut by 3m 45s.

vincenzo 31st May 2008 07:14 PM

Yes, all the cuts to Deep River Savages were for animal cruelty. I don't think all of the non-animal cuts to Cannibal Holocaust would have been waived this time (most of them were rape-related plus the mudball scene) though a fair few may have been. Who knows now alas.

I enjoyed Last Cannibal World. Massimo Foschi's performance is absolutely superb and the killing of Me Me Lai (later recycled in Eaten Alive) is both graphic and upsetting.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 31st May 2008 07:16 PM

Still to watch that one Vince,had it for bloody ages as well.....