Thread: Blu VS DVD
View Single Post
Old 26th November 2011, 01:12 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Fair enough, but I still maintain, the old anchor bay tin has more detail on upscale than the blu, compare the scene of tom savini leaving the club with his lady, on the blu a lot of the details seem blurry while the old anchor bay edition looks a lot clearer.
I do tend to agree. However, the key word here is 'should' look better on BD. I'm still convinced that for whatever reason, BU didn't do as good a job on mastering for Blu-ray as they could have done with this particular title. I wouldn't be at all surprised if in a couple of years' time there'll be a new super-duper even more remastered edition. I guess this is also kind of inevitable, as it was with DVD. As companies get to grips with the BD format and encoding techniques improve (which they undoubtedly will) there'll be new editions of films that haven't fared well on BD so far - like Maniac.

For me, I think The Good, The Bad and The Ugly needs a totally new remaster. The MGM one just doesn't look right to me eyes. Image detail seems lacking and the DNR appears to have been used over-zealously resulting in a rather soft image lacking in fine detail. I also expect this one to get another overhaul in the future. This and Near Dark and the UK Escape from New York give us the worst of what the format has to offer IMO.

Personally, I think with the death of HD DVD and the resultant lack of competing HD format, the studios have just got plain lazy. Competition can be a good thing, with each side striving to be the better format. I mean, come on, Universal are actually downgrading their HD masters for Blu-ray. I swear that The Thing looked much better on HD DVD than it does it on BD. When I saw the HD DVD I was gobsmacked by the transfer - you could see the defined snowflakes against a pure white, snowy landscape it was that clear, but on the BD I wasn't as impressed, it seemed that Universal had tinkered with the transfer.