View Single Post
Old 15th December 2011, 12:16 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Last night:

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2009) - wonderful. Beautifully paced throughout it's hefty length, wonderfully acted (especially Michael Nyquist), excellent story. Very Noir.

Devil (2010) - mediocre rather than bad, but not much of a film. The best thing about it is that it was short...but it was not short enough; it might have made an OK half hour Twilight Zone kind of thing, but was too fluffy and thin for a feature. The lead was not good enough to carry his part either. Not recommended.
I had exactly the same double bill last night, largely because Devil is short.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is excellent and as you say very well paced in fact you never realise it runs for two and a half hours.

The plot is all over the place for the first hour with two stories running side by side but it all comes together when Lisbeth meets Mikael and interlinks perfectly. The film is pretty grim in places especially the rape scenes, yet it also has scenes of poignant tenderness which balances the film perfectly.

The second film The Girl who played with Fire looks equally brilliant from the trailer and promo material on the dvd. Hope this is in the sales soon.

Highly Recommended.

I really quite enjoyed Devil as well. Maybe because it was a fairly straightforward, simply plotted film which helped after watching Dragon Tattoo. It wasn't over complicated and helped the evening / morning wind down.

Unlike Gojirosan, i though it was decently acted from all which is just as well as there were only nine central characters carrying the film and some of them never got past the half way mark. Thank you casting director for not populating the lift with high school muppets.

The plot was interesting enough for me to want to know how the movie ended. I would recommend this film if you want a simple yet effective horror / thriller that you can just sit back and let unfold rather than have your brain working overtime.