View Single Post
Old 16th December 2011, 02:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Voice Over

Another great BFI Flipside release with an extremely impressive central performance from Ian McNeice as Fats Bannerman, who writes and performs a one man radio show about high society in Edwardian times. Unfortunately Fats's personal life is becoming increasingly turbulent and the arrival of a mysterious mute girl sends fat's over the edge and into a downward spiral of depression and psychological torment.
It's certainly one of the bleakest films that I've seen in a long while, but this is no bad thing in my book and it's a big recommend from me.

The Stendahl Syndrome

Oh dear, oh dear. What was Argento thinking when he cast Asia in the lead role? Probably one of the worst casting examples that I've ever seen. Poor Asia simply can't shoulder the role convincingly and this isn't the only thing that lets the film down.
Shoddy and unnecessary CGI effects (pills down the gullet) are also a personal bugbear for me, although I do appreciate what Argento was hoping for with pictorial transitions.
Two more issues were the fact that the audience knew who the killer was from the outset (a problem that I had with the much more fun and deftly directed Stagefright), which I suppose helps to line up the 'twist' at the end of the film. But what an absolute sham that is in itself. I've never come across a more obvious twist, it's such a let down.

I've still got Sleepless to watch yet, but I'm not holding my breath. And I'm also going to try and give The Card Player another go, but it's almost impossible to think that the director who made Tenebre, The Bird With The Crystal Plumage, etc. could offer up such a lacklustre and deflated film like The Stendahl Syndrome - it's like Peter Greenaway doing an episode of Emmerdale.

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage