View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2012, 12:28 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I've been watching a lot of mostly lame films recently. As such, let me talk to you about some movies on the other side of the dvd-and-related-media rainbow.
LIQUID SKY. This is simply one of my all time favorites. If you were around at the turn of the 80s in downtown Manhattan, I hope you were blessed enough to lead the same kind of existence as the guys and gals herein. Some alien visitors really dig the post-punk fashion scene and end up addicted to human orgasms. A Russian scientist guy with a telescope tracks them down, maybe. Yes, the substance - use analogy is crude. But it's great. The aliens manifest only as bad visual effects of the worst analogue kind. Everyone is a massively dissociated androgyne. The film itself is art-damaged to exactly the right degree. Strike an angular pose amidst the neon-slick grime and OD to no-wave electro skronk. Why won't the guardians of DVD set this one free? Why is the video lottery run by bastards?
TOURIST TRAP. Dummies, dolls and mannequins of all kinds make me happy when they spring to life. I'm not jaded enough to be beyond that stuff. In this one, Chuck Connors is the owner of a waxwork display just off the desert highway somewhere in late 70s California... a bunch of slasher-fodder teens find out that there's more to Chuck besides heart warming banter and cack-handed sub-Tussaudisms (namely, he is his own psycho killer twin and he can animate waxworks to creepy and murderous effect using the raw power of his diseased mind). Watch out for the killer freeze frame. From Charles Band before he went eighties.