View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2012, 08:27 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
I've been watching a lot of mostly lame films recently. As such, let me talk to you about some movies on the other side of the dvd-and-related-media rainbow.
LIQUID SKY. This is simply one of my all time favorites. If you were around at the turn of the 80s in downtown Manhattan, I hope you were blessed enough to lead the same kind of existence as the guys and gals herein. Some alien visitors really dig the post-punk fashion scene and end up addicted to human orgasms. A Russian scientist guy with a telescope tracks them down, maybe. Yes, the substance - use analogy is crude. But it's great. The aliens manifest only as bad visual effects of the worst analogue kind. Everyone is a massively dissociated androgyne. The film itself is art-damaged to exactly the right degree. Strike an angular pose amidst the neon-slick grime and OD to no-wave electro skronk. Why won't the guardians of DVD set this one free? Why is the video lottery run by bastards?
Liquid Sky is a film that I really didn't like very much the first time I saw it, but subsequent viewings have really endeared it to my heart.
I distinctly remember seeing it in our local video store for rent in about 84/85 with that amazing painted cover (of which I know own an original US promo poster) and wanting to get it out, but was never allowed - not sure how a 5/6 yr old me would have got on with it back then.
I just picked up this up yesterday which has a fascinating article about the film in it. It gives some background to Tsukerman and Carlisle, which really helps to see how the story came about from the myriad ideas of the writers and there are some excerpts from a [I]Variety interview with Tsukerman.
And I love the score, especially the Me and My Rhythmbox song, which is pure Nathan Barley/Shoreditch Twat territory.

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage