View Single Post
Old 4th February 2012, 12:05 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
I like TCM 2, always had a soft spot for it. I know it's s bit of a mess and there's no doubt that it doesn't hold a candle to the original but I do like it.

...and Nos, you mention the comedy in the sequel but the original has a really ghoulish streak of comedy running through it too. I'm sure it's deliberate but it's quite clever how Hooper and co manipulate the audience because a lot of the humour is derived from "nervous laughs", the dinner table/hammer clad granddad being a case point.
As Demdike said, I find the dinner table scene to be one of the most disturbing in the entire film because of the maniacal laughter and completely macabre setting. When Sally says she will do 'anything' (presumably inferring sex) and the family just continues to bicker and laugh at her pleads, I find that to be extremely unsettling and the section where Grandpa is trying to hit her is surprisingly drawn out and always seems far longer than it really is.

TCM 2, on the other hand, is much more colourful and is a slightly comedic film, from the chilli cookoff to the chainsaw fight. It isn't as grim, nihilistic or downright terrifying as TCSM with some of the amusing exchanges and set pieces acting as relief points from the horror.

Anyway, back to the Psycho sequels...