View Single Post
Old 17th February 2012, 06:14 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Other than having Deep Ones in it "Dagon" is nothing like "Shadow" or Lovecraft's "Dagon". What Gordon misses out on is the sense of dread and cosmic horror instead filling his films with sex and gore which would have Lovecraft spinning in his grave.
I kind of see where you coming from, but to me there is some level of cosmic horror, but it is implied rather than spelled out. There is the feeling that this is Ground Zero for Dagon's assault on the world, a brooding tension, a dark cloud ready to spread.

Lovecraft would certainly have disliked the nudity and gore, but then I see no reason for any any film adaptation to remain absolutely true to its source. The best versions of Dracula are sod all like the book!

My one caveat to this is the dreadful film version of Constantine - they can sod off casting Keanu Reeves as a character meant to be a blond Scouser! However, had Constantine itself been any good, I might have been perfectly willing to overlook the changes to the caharacter!

I like Dagon a lot, as a film and as a Lovecraft film. I also like The Call Of Cthulhu a lot, but mostly as a Lovecraft film. Its attention to detail and respect for the source sometimes seems a little too academic, but, I don't mind that so much.