View Single Post
Old 8th March 2012, 04:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

DAHMER - Sensitive and engaging portrait of the prolific cannibal which uses a indie-ish 'dark drama' approach rather than one involving lots of blood and screaming. Really works, great direction, texture, atmosphere and acting and comes highly recommended.
JEFFREY DAHMER: A SECRET LIFE - Takes a very different route, but I found it surprisingly effective. Made in 1993, but looks like something cheap from the early seventies - in some ways this is appropriate, considering how the film's ominous, mean spirited tone evokes that unmistakable exploitation ambience. Crass, but its seriousness leaves the impression of primitive power along with a bad taste in the mouth.
THE SECT - Not as boring as 'The Church', nor as wild and inspiring as 'Dellamorte...' (and not as much fun as 'Stagefright', for that matter),The Sect is worth looking at for some good visual atmospherics and some magical imagery - but could do with more of both.
LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH - An excellent, still slightly overlooked film which could benefit from a less prohibitively expensive re-release. Along with that exploitation vibe I mentioned earlier, seventies movies sometimes seem to have a really skewed, elliptical atmosphere - this one definitely does. It's not grindhouse trash, it's not akin to the wonderfully depressing sleaze which characterised its era - what it is is a quiet, insidious ghost story which blossoms into chilly alienation and strangeness - reminds me in some ways of 'Messiah of Evil', or maybe 'Carnival of Souls' in its depiction of encroaching madness.