View Single Post
Old 17th April 2012, 10:33 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Demons - I just got home from seeing the Lamberto Bava fave on the big screen. A top experience.

What seeing it in this way brought home was just how well made it is - especially the camerawork and editing - and just how good the special effects are, especially considering when it was made. I also realised for the first time (despite having seen it more times than I can recall) just how much of it is played for laughs. So much that I think it could qualify as a "comedy horror".

The print is a nice one, but - yet again - why are films remastered for HD so often so pale? Are modern telecine engineers terrified of vibrancy and saturation? Demons now looks very cold, and whilst this renders extremely natural looking skin colour and texture, it does not suit the film. All those wonderful garish colours we are used to from the days of VHS and DVD are muted and a bit flat. It was my only issue with the new master, but I think it's a pretty big issue.

I'd be interested in seeing an actual film print from the time to compare. I can dream!

In the same screen last night I saw a double bill of An American Werewolf In London and The Thing, which were also wonderful to see up on the big canvas.