View Single Post
Old 23rd April 2012, 09:38 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Four Flies on Grey Velvet - first viewing of the Shameless blu-ray. A great thriller from Argento, a little unevenly paced at times with characters that don't seem to stick around enough for you to care about them. Odd moments of comedy too ("Hallelujah!!") but overall an enjoyable thriller which ranks for me alongside Cat O' Nine Tails in terms of quality. His first use of fantasy elements in a giallo too, an aspect of the film I really enjoyed for its boldness. Excellent PQ on the bluray although I am undecided about the decisions to digitally 'fix' the last scene. Awful popping sounds when it lapses into Italian audio near the end too. Great Luigi Cozzi interview on the disc too and nice to have the longer version in all its poor picture quality.

The Silence of the Lambs - I always thought Hopkins' role in this was a bit too lip-smacking and over-the-top but watching this after Red Dragon his performance comes across as practically understated in comparison. Still a great thriller which holds up well today and still really creepy in parts too.
I hadn't seen it in about 15 years so it was the first time I'd noticed Roger Corman, George Romero and the Fall make their appearances.