View Single Post
Old 3rd July 2012, 10:56 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Just in from the flicks...

Quatermass And The Pit - 1967 UK d: Roy Ward Baker

I swear this film gets better every time I view it. I am now thoroughly convinced that this actually is one of Hammer's greatest achievements. It is also one of the finest remakes/reworkings in cinema history.

I walked out of the cinema pondering if a commercial, mass appeal studio would make such an intelligent and brain requiring bit of SF/horror now, and couldn't even imagine it being tried in the UK.

I can't really find fault with it - except the special effects, but that is a low blow for anyone to go for - and was utterly engrossed. I even felt a chill go down my arms as the famous thing that happens at the end happened. An honest to goodness frisson!

The print was perhaps not quite as razor sharp as that for The Plague Of The Zombies (in which I could make out the different weaves of tweed each character was wearing!) but it did look pretty impressive - if a little pale, which I have now come to expect. There was some noticeable stereo mixing in the poltergeist activity scene in the excavation which was distracting and hinted at some unnecessary tinkering*, but for the most part it sounded fine too.

I have always liked this film a lot. Now I love this film. I have a whole new level of respect for it after tonight.

*I have no idea if it was actually stereo back in 1967, but the scene in question sounded very "artificial" and the rest of the film and music flat and focused with no obvious separation.