View Single Post
Old 6th September 2012, 10:47 AM
Cultist

Il Figlioccio del Padrino (English: The Godson of the Godfather) | 1973 | Italy

A mostly very unfunny parody take on Francis Ford Coppola's seminal The Godfather that was quickly put together and released in order to capitalise on the former film's worldwide success. This 'comedy' basically centres around a grotesquely clownish, irritating, apparently irresistible Mafia womaniser (played by Franco Franchi) who flees America and returns to Sicily due to upsetting all the Mafia bosses back home in New York. His Mafia don godfather is there to take him under his wing. He eventually falls in love with one of the daughters of the boss who has had a succession of grooms murdered at the church on wedding day. There's lots of speeded-up film, lots of silly hijnks, lots of wooden chemistry between the romantic interest and our 'hero' and not a lot else. The film's musical score is quite monstrously grating - for me, as soon as I heard it I developed an intense dislike of it, and it pops up throughout the movie. I wouldn't recommend this film at all - I chuckled slightly twice all the way through and I couldn't wait for oit to finish.

As for Raro's Italian DVD - well, it's OK I guess. The film is mostly progressive (it's in anamorphic widescreen at the correct aspect ratio) and the picture quality is mostly quite good, although there are a fair few short sequences which do show poorer quality interlaced footage as well. The subtitles are dreadful and are actually nonsensical in parts and impossible to follow, so littered are they with spelling errors and grammatical errors as they are (English is clearly not the first language of the subtitler!). Extras? There aren't any. No extras here.

Quite honestly I'd give this one a miss. There's a lot better films out there from Raro.