View Single Post
Old 6th September 2012, 11:06 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

After I'd finished my 2 day The Walking Dead marathon I decided to continue with the zombie theme and watch [REC] Genesis, which arrived on Blu Ray yesterday. Fans of the first two films in the series may be a little disappointed in the direction this entry has taken, because after the first 20 minutes of handheld, shaky cam filming is over, the film switches to standard 35mm film(with the odd sequence of CCTV footage mixed in) and plays out like a typical film. Saying that though, the film is still highly enjoyable, with plenty of cracking gore effects, some great shots and some likeable characters. Another thing that separates this from the previous instalments is the use of comedic elements, which make it feel more like Shaun than Dawn of the Dead, not a bad thing really, but I feel it may annoy hardcore [REC] fans. It doesn't contain any of the scare elements that made the first two so successful(especially the Kate Moss lookalike from the end of part 1!), but it does provide enough entertainment to last it's "over before you know it" 80 minute running time.
Extras on the disc are a selection of outtakes and deleted scenes, plus a 2 hour making of documentary(which, I ended up turning off after 10 minutes because I was tired).
Overall, it's a highly enjoyable film with plenty to keep gorehounds happy and well worth picking up, just don't expect it to follow the same pattern as parts 1 & 2. 4/5
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!