View Single Post
Old 14th September 2012, 12:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
I have seen Infernal Affairs, and i did enjoy it, i do however think that The Departed is superior to that film, it's more tightly plotted and acted although i still don't understand how Mark Wahlberg got an Oscar nom for the film when all he does is shout and swear and neither Matt Damon or DeCaprio were recognised.
I think that The Departed is a better made film, as Scorsese is probably the greatest living filmmaker in the world, but Infernal Affairs has more heart to it. In TD, Matt Damon's character is a complete cock all the way through it, purely interested only in self preservation, choosing to end his "partnership" only when he realises he could be used as a fall guy any moment. Also, it contains the old Hollywood moralism that everybody gets what's coming to them.

IA on the other hand makes you actually (secretly) root for Andy Lau, because he's not a very bad guy, he's just grown up in this position that he now has to live with. With the way the first IA ends, there's more at stake as you know AL has to live with his mistakes, but can try and turn them round.