View Single Post
Old 6th October 2012, 12:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE DEVIL'S BUSINESS - I thought this was excellent. The fact that it's very dialogue driven is mentioned a lot in reviews, as is a sort of Pinteresque quality, but what it has going for more than anything is an immersive atmosphere and some quite harrowing moments, with sound playing a central role. There are surface similarities to 'Kill List' ie gangsters are present and devil related stuff happens, but really this is a very different movie, although the two do share a sense of impending dread. Billy Clarke gives an absolutely great performance as the hit man charged with offing a satanic associate of his boss. I was mesmerised by his face / expression - an utterly haunted, frozen mask throughout that finally breaks and gives way to fear during the existentially soul raking last act. It's not perfect, there are some minor false moves, but I found it never less than facinating for the most part, and, unlike some, really liked the transition to a more trashy, obvious kind of horror in the final reel (demonic homunculus kid bites throat etc). Highly recommended.