View Single Post
Old 27th November 2012, 02:03 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
I really enjoyed Cabin in the Woods. Avengers also. Scream suck's. New Nightmares is horribly under-rated. This is the new's at 1:03 in the afternoon. Good day.
I loved The Cabin in the Woods at the cinema and have seen it two or three times since and it really stands up as an intelligent and knowing genre film. In terms of the Marvel comic book films, I found The Avengers to be one of the best, but much preferred The Dark Knight Rises and the DC superhero films. Saying that, I'll probably buy the boxset of all the Marvel films when that's released.

In terms of the post modern horror films (is The Cabin in the Woods post-post-modern?), Scream still stands out as one which works as a stand-alone slasher whilst also dissecting the genre from which it's drawn inspiration and, at the time, made me aware of slasher films I hadn't seen or heard about before. I only saw Wes Craven's New Nightmare after watching the first two Scream films and realised what a fine piece of cinema it is and how far ahead of his time Craven was.