View Single Post
Old 16th December 2012, 06:45 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Just wondered if you ever owned a business that Facebook drummed up tens of thousands for you.....

I've tried Facebook for my business,not brought a lot,I can tell you.

I spend money on smaller,more dedicated lines of advertising which has brought me tens of thousands.

Just shows.What's taught in theory DOESN'T always translate in REAL life.

So please,don't ever tell anyone who hasn't Facebook or Twitter not to think about going into business.
As Daemonia said,Inflammatory and that's putting it politely.
Having been self employed for over 40 years I totally agree with this post. I've owned several restaurants over those four decades and although I can't comment on business school I can honestly say that I never once managed to hire anyone straight out of catering college who could cope in the real world. They certainly couldn't take the heat and pressure of a busy commercial kitchen. One poor guy actually fainted over the grill, backwards fortunately!
As a commercial artist my name was made by Almar and Cult Labs, along with The Darkside magazine. I'm not one to blow my own horn (although I would if I could reach it!) but today I turn down a lot more jobs than I take on and I'm working in a fiercly competetive field.
"Check out my Facebook page" reads like "Check out my Ebay shop", Great for folks playing at business but not quite the real thing.
Of course, plenty of folks do well off these sites but nobody can tell me that they carry the cache' and credibility of something like Cult Labs which has been created by a media savvy professional.
Personally, if I'd decided to market my wares through Facebook my smutty etchings would still be twirling around totally unseen in the mists of cyber space.
Yeh, I know what you're thinking. "Shame he bloody didn't!"