View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2013, 07:25 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Date Night - good cast but starts off very flat. picks up in the second half and even includes a splendid car-chase sequence which I really was not expecting from a silly comedy.

Cockneys Vs Zombies - poor film with a dearth of originality. Only one comedy set piece has a decent idea behind it. Not unlikeable, but a shoddy effort. It's no Attack The Block...

Singin' In The Rain - Hollywood perfection. A masterpiece. One of the 10 or 15 or so greatest films ever made, for me.

The Watch - not the greatest script in the world and a lot of it falls flat, but the occasional funny bits are very funny and Jonah Hill and Richard Ayoade are decent. It's no Attack The Block...

Dredd - excellent comic adaptation that succeeds on pretty much every level. Not perfect (characterisation is perfunctory at best, and it would have been nice to address Dredd's inherent fascism more convincingly) but bloody hell! this is as good a comic to screen as I have seen. Fine performances, exceptional and apposite soundtrack and it looks utterly wonderful.

Enchanted - superb Disney effort which seems aimed more at adults than kids. Really very, very good. The cast are sterling, in particular. A couple of very dodgy songs on the soundtrack are all I can nitpick over here.

D.E.B.S. - adorable romantic comedy/spy spoof that really deserves to be better known. Extremely witty and unassuming. Everyone clearly had a ball making it! Excellent stuff.