View Single Post
Old 12th January 2013, 10:59 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refused View Post
Where should I start with them?
All their covers look so horrendously bland I haven't bothered with any of them.
Man of Violence is pretty good but I enjoyed the Big Switch more, even though the former is clearly the better film. London in the Raw is an interesting Mondo style documentary showing the seedier side of London in the 60s. I really enjoyed Gerry O'Hara's films - All the right noises and Pleasure girls were very entertaining, but That Kind of Girl was more like a lengthy 60s public service announcement against the dangers of unprotected sex more than feature film. The Party's Over with Oliver Reed was a solid drama, so was Private Road.

I've still got to watch Herostratus, Joanna, Deep End and Voice Over.

Unfortunately, I really did not like Here we go round the mulberry bush - Barry Evans' character in this had an old head on young shoulders and I am not talking about wisdom.

The one real curio for me is Requiem for a Village which I saw the other night. It was quite extraordinary - I really do not quite know how to describe it. I know that I liked it and will probably rewatch it several times over. It's not for everyone though. But the real jewel in the crown for me was one of the shorts on that disc - An unfinished film, which shows a moment in time from different aspects in slo mo. Really really liked that one.

And that's something else - these Flipsides are packed with shorts, some of them sometimes being more interesting than the film itself; That Kind of Girl being an obvious case in point.

It's quite amazing - these films were long forgotten, never to be heard of again until Filpside came along. It's brilliant in terms of concept and execution.