View Single Post
Old 10th February 2013, 10:22 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Fido (2006)

I picked this up as part of a US six film set primarily for the disc of Blood Diner, which, incidentally, was shite. I left Fido until next to last to watch as i had no hopes or real interest in it.

What a surprise this was, an absolute joy to watch and along with Dead Snow probably the best zombie film of the last ten years.

Fido manages to do what so many horror / comedy's fail and that is to produce a film that works on both levels to a high standard. The comedy on the whole is subtle rather than gross out gags. The script more or less follows on from the events of Romero's Night of the Living Dead, bringing us to a time when boffins have produced a collar that removes the zombie need to eat and makes them in effect servants, if a little dim witted. Fido, brilliantly played by Billy Connolly, is one such zombie who goes to live with the Robinson family and is instantly welcomed by the young son and wife (scrumptiously played by Carrie-Anne Moss) but not by Dad who fears them.

What we have from then on is essentially a "boy and his dog" movie as the two bond despite Fido eating his elderly neighbours arm ensuring another zombie upsurge and mum falling for the zombie rather than her uptight husband.

Its thanks to the excellent performances from all involved, a well crafted, fifties suburban American setting and above all, an energetic, carefully written script from people who know and love the zombie horror genre that Fido is a true delight for zombie fans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fido.jpg (90.7 KB, 4 views)