View Single Post
Old 23rd February 2013, 02:35 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Grabbers (2012)

Aliens crash into the sea off the coast of Ireland and a small village soon find themselves terrorised by them. The only way to survive an alien attack is to be drunk, as alcohol is pure poison to the alien lifeforms. Good fun and nothing too demanding, really enjoyed it for what it was.

The Sweeney (2012)

Regan and Carter (Ray Winstone and Ben Drew) head up the infamous Flying Squad aka The Sweeney. But the powers-that-be want to shut them down and so the unit comes under close scrutiny. meanwhile, there's a big criminal gang active in London and the Sweeney need to stop them regardless of being invetsigated or not.

Winstone is on fine, gruff form as Regan and really pulls off a decent performance, as does ben Drew, who's impressing me more and more as an actor. The story is a bit paper thin, but director Nick Love fleshes it out well enough and I felt he did quite well. Not bad, but I do think it could have been better.

The Exterminator (1980)

'If you're lying....I'll be back.'

Robert Ginty is John Eastland, a hardened Vietnam vet who's down on his luck and readjusting to civilian life. But when his best friend is brutalised and killed, Eastland turns vigilante and soon he's clearing New York of its low-lifes.

Great little exploitation actioner and there's some pretty nasty stuff in this compared with your usual vigilante flick. It's also a curio in that there's so much footage of how 42nd Street and the like were at the time of shooting. There's a nice little feature on the disc by Frank Hennenlotter explaining what 42nd Street was like and how disney ****ed it all up. So overall it's a great film with a great package on Blu-ray from Arrow. Really enjoyed revisiting this one again.

The Reptile (1966)

Harry Spalding (Ray Barrett) and his wife Valerie (Jennifer Daniel) inherit a cfottage after Harry's brother dies in mysterious circumstances. Having taken up residence in the cottage, the Spaldings quickly realise that strange things are afoot in this quiet village and could be linked to the enigmatic Dr Franklyn and his strange daughter Anna (Jacqueline Pearce) - who might not be all she appears to be! Another Blu-ray corker from Hammer/StudioCanal and it was a joy to see it all cleaned up and in sparkly HD. It's Hammer, so it's a no-brainer that it's gonna be a good'un.

Dracula - Prince of Darkness (1966)

Christopher Lee returns for his second outing as the vampire Count. In this one a group of hapless travellers find themselves stranded for the night when a driverless coach arrives. They board it thinking they'll head for their desired destination, but instead, with a will of their own, the horses take them straight to Dracula's lair. Of course, they don't know about Dracula or his being a vampire and take advantage of the hospitality, unaware that evil is afoot.

It's a cracking Blu from StudioCanal and, in spite of the complaints I've read about the transfer, I thought it looked wonderful. A definite keeper and highly recommended.

Last edited by Daemonia; 23rd February 2013 at 11:10 PM.