View Single Post
Old 21st July 2009, 11:43 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
Yes interesting interview. But this part here "The sooner they close their doors for good, the better. Thanks to new technologies the writing has to be on the wall. It will be a great day for the UK industry when they cease to be. Or at least become voluntary and/or free of charge".

It's not going to happen.
Well, back in '98 everyone was saying of banned films once again becoming available uncut and saying it would never happen. A year or two later and we've got uncut versions of Evil Dead, Texas Chain Saw Massacre and The Exorcist sitting on shop shelves.

But yes, I do agree that the BBFC aren't going anywhere just yet - it's too much of a money spinner. They're in a win/win situation - they can still reject or cut a film and still get paid for it.

Cinema must be the only remaining art form where you submit your work to be hacked up. Imagine hacking up the Mona Lisa for censorship reasons, or blackening over parts of the Cistene Chapel. It would never happen. So why do artists have to submit to this kind of treatment when it comes to films? The average Shaun Hutson novel contains some of the most vile imagery committed to the written form (I'm talking rape, snuff movies, violence and paedophilia - really incendiary stuff) and anyone of any age can read that. Go figure.