View Single Post
Old 26th June 2013, 12:19 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Voyages to Hell
I'd been getting a bit of yearning for the sea lately, I haven't even been on the Gosport Ferry for months, so I thought what films could I watch to assuage this yearning.
Ghost Ship and Event Horizon

Yeah alright, they're not both nautical, that's why I picked 'em, but they are both Voyages to Hell!

Of course I've seen both films before but quite some time ago so I decided to revisit them in a single night. "Ghost Ship" was, as I remembered, a decent story with some stand out death scenes at the beginning. I soon found myself enjoying the familiar story and anticipating sequences. All in all a good film but could have done with more "jumps" in it, we all like a good "jump," don't we? 7/10 just for the "cheesewire" at the start.

In space no one can hear you do anything because there is nothing to carry sound waves! Just thought I'd put that there to remind me that they more or less stuck to this truism and I can only recall a couple of incidents where sound is heard in the cold vacuum. I remember absolutely loving this when I first saw it. I'm older and much more jaded now so I only liked it... a lot! I can't help it if I like sci-fi and horror and when the two cross over it can be spectacular. Look at "Alien", "Species", and good old "Lifeforce". "Event Horizon" fits nicely in there as a "Gothic Horror" a haunted cathedral in space. Another enjoyable 7/10.

How did they work as a double act? Pretty well I believe. Very similar stories, salvage operation on a ship that's been to hell and is bent on going back, one on Earth the other in the outer atmosphere of Neptune (see, even a nautical symbol in space). To be fair to each film you need to watch 'em separately, they are too similar to watch together and seemed to "flow" into each other. With that in mind only4/10 for the double bubble.

Monster Magnet