View Single Post
Old 16th August 2013, 02:33 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
I saw "The Brood" in the cinema when it first hit these shores. Although I did enjoy it I had so many problems with it that I've never thought about getting it on DVD. After reading everyone's reviews though I may have to find it and re-watch it. Maybe I was distracted at the cinema by my companion!
I didn't think much of 'The Brood' when i first saw it many years ago, but revisiting it made me appreciate it much more now i'm older. I really liked it last time i saw it although 'Shivers', 'Dead Ringers' and' Videodrome' are my favourite David Cronenberg films.

Watched 'Cosmopolis' the other day, i started it the first time but only got half an hour into it and decided to go to bed instead, it's filled with dense complicated dialogue that put me off( i'd had a few beers by this time).

On my second attempt i was sober and paid attention, i found it interesting but a little dull (mainly because the lead character spends most of the time in his car), i can see how it fit's into Cronenberg's world, being about the decline of a career and in consequence mental disintegration, and the protagonist breaking down the barriers of his rigid overly structured life. (or something like that)
I think it's worth a watch if you're in the right mood, but don't know if i'd actually go so far as to recommend it to anyone. 5/10 for me

I know Cronenberg's older and most people mellow with age, but i wish he would go back to his horror/sci-fi roots. It's sad to see him making mediocre drama films when he is capable of creating really twisted and visionary work.