View Single Post
Old 1st September 2013, 10:17 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonknight View Post
Watched Beetlejuice last night for the very first time. Wow, Tim Burton is definitely out there. While I'm not his biggest fan, this movie ranks as one of his most accomplished. Super performance from Michael Keaton. Loved the horror elements in this movie. Set design and make up effects were just fantastic. Might just watch this one again come Halloween. Didn't get a chance to watch this with 5.1 surround sound, but the PQ was very impressive. Overall a very enjoyable viewing experience was had. Tim Burton's best movie IMO
I saw Beetlejuice at the cinema! Love that film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
I remember there being a bit of positive buzz about Detention on here, so watched that last night. I found it fairly obnoxious to be honest. All that too-cool-for-school whip-panning with woosh sound effects. Remined me of other American comedy I never got on with, like Scrubs or Malcolm in the Middle. It’s like the frenetic pace is there to mask the lack of any actual wit, just chuck everything at the screen and see what sticks, under the guise of BEING WACKY. I suppose the attempt to do something different is admirable. But I think it failed as a horror film, and as I only smiled a few times, for me it failed as a comedy too . . .
That's a shame, Jack. I'm one of those who championed it, as for me it worked. It does indeed throw everything into the mix, and it's certainly an ambitious feature by a director who clearly has a music video background, but the thing for me is that it worked. I liked the characters, the craziness, and the off-the-wall humour. I found it exceptionally entertaining and considering how quick-fire the gags are, I found the hit rate pretty high.

And I'm normally turned off by the idea of high-school comedies.