View Single Post
Old 28th September 2013, 09:48 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
Seriously guys, I read what some of you write and I wonder if we're on the same planet.
Now, I admit that I only have a 46 inch LED TV, not some massive projection set up like some of you have, so perhaps I cannot see all these imperfections that you all moan about.
For example, Arrow's CotLD that is "barely watchable"......Really? Well, I've seen it on numerous video and dvd releases over the years and thought it was the best release I had ever seen of it. What makes it barely watchable?
Same with Tenebrae and Day of the Dead which I also thought looked superb! I also have the Blu Starz edition and can see no difference between the two.
A couple of weeks ago someone ranted that the 40th Anniversary Edition of Enter the Dragon was "terrible." Now I watched this in the cinema in the 70's and 80's, owned many copies on video from all around the world, bought at least 3 dvd's of it and finally bought the 40th Blu. Not even in the cinema did this look so good, never -all over the world -has there been a better issue but still someone thinks it was terrible. What on earth could make it better? Bruce Lee rising from the grave and giving you a commentary while you watch?
I think () the problem is some of you missed, or have conveniently forgotten..., the days of video and crt TV's. When I think back to some of the murky pea-soup transfers I used to squint at, I cannot believe people when I hear them moan that "there is a bit of grain!! It's shit!"
C'mon guys, seriously?
Hit a nerve there fella?? I see where you're coming from and unfortunately I missed a lot of these movies in their earlier incarnations so I understand I probably can't appreciate what COTLD looked like to begin with. My first viewing of it was the crappy Vipco dvd. But the same applies to say The Beyond which looks absolutely stunning on Arrows blu. Day of the Dead I've already mentioned is I think quite possibly their best release from a technical point of view. I don't even think Tenebrae looks too bad. All films I first saw from dodgy dvd releases which by and large look great on blu. So why does CotLD look so poor? It's barely watchable as far as I'm concerned because it's like watching the film through a bathroom window behind a net curtain with a damn blizzard outside! Unless I've got a faulty copy that is, which is something I've wondered given most folk seem happy with it, but criticize Tenebrae which looks far better.