View Single Post
Old 2nd October 2013, 05:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Byzantium (2012)

Upon the wind swept shores of a desolate coastl town stands the guesthouse Byzantium. Its doors newly reopened by Clara (Gemma Arterton) and her daughter Eleanor (Saoirse Ronan). They plan to turn the hotel into a brothel. However the two hold a 200 year old secret, a secret so dark it may just be the end of them.

The hotel Byzantium in the seaside resort of Hastings reminds me of the hotel in Harry Kumel's 1971 masterpiece Daughters of Darkness. It practically has its own aura of Gothic ambience penetrating the south coast resort of the 21st century. For all its Quaint picture postcard qualities Jordan shows us the Hastings we don't wish to visit - dark, wet, sleazy and violent. He uses the towns landmarks and sea front to brilliant effect. For me however the comparisons don't end there. Jean Rollin's expressionistic horrors also spring to mind, especially in the beach scenes, Jordan splashes the desolate stormy sands with splashes of colour, in much the same way Rollin does.The other main similarity is Jordan's own film Interview with the Vampire. The film is related to the viewer through the younger vampire Eleanor much the same way as Louis talks us through Interview. Byzantium also has the same pitfalls as Interview in that the Eleanor / Louis character is far less interesting than the older vampires they are sheltering with, in this case Clara, and Lestat in Interview. Other similarities are the way the vampires puncture their victims, and the way the two vampires are always on the move. Hounded from place to place and finally succumbing to their own kind in a bloody showdown.

Jordan's use of music is inspired. Often sparse, without crashing symphonies for false scares. The poignant piano sequence is a beautiful relaxing moment in a film that mostly allows no compromise.

Although Saoirse Ronan carries the bulk of the film its Gemma Arterton's Clara thats the star of the show. Clara gives the film bite, dripping grimy uncompromising sex, playing out her nights as a dancer then prostitute in an attempt to provide for the two of them. If Clara provides the grubby sleaze then Ronan's Eleanor provides the films beautiful ethereal quality. Her budding romance with a local lad is laden with a melancholic sadness that few films manage. Together Ronan and Arterton make a stunning mother / daughter combination in the finest vampire film in years.
Usually when I hear about a new vampire film, I think "Twilight" a, and end up avoiding it! This actually seems quite good, though.