View Single Post
Old 28th October 2013, 08:10 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
What are you on about Hawk. You weren't even born when it aired. Life was actually like this in the late seventies / early eighties northern England. Perhaps not in the cities, but certainly in the towns and villages.

This may be a controversial viewpoint, but the north west, possibly the whole north of England was in a steep decline, a state of decay, until the Manchester bombings in 1996 meant the whole city centre had to be rebuilt and the rest of the north followed on.

Anyway, apologies, this has nothing to do with the rebirth of Open All Hours.
Think about it. All the young, hip people in the street where mentioned (and occasionally seen) living more liberal lifestyles throughout the series. Buying goods from corporate organisations, practicing increasingly odd sexual acts (often considered the norm today) and generally showing typical early stage X-generations symptoms such as a more casual disregard for older generations and more rebellious attitudes. All the while this little shop keeper and his elderly customers are still stuck in the 50's, in a dinky little shop in a dinky little street. It kind of showed how Barker viewed the changing world around him and is often overlooked by people, but I think it's quite clever.

DVD and BD collection