View Single Post
Old 9th November 2013, 08:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Personally, I love ALL three of the LOTR trilogy and refuse to pick a "favourite". This is because I like to see them as a single story (not all at one sitting, I hasten to add, I don't have the stamina for that) and not as "competing" episodes. All the fan boy niggles aside, like the death of Saruman etc, they are a beautiful attempt at portraying one of the greatest works of fiction, EVER!

Alas! There is one thing that they can not do that the books can and that is that on each reading of the trilogy, and I have read it a few times, my mind automatically places more emphasis on one leg of the journey (after the breaking of the Fellowship, that is) than the others. I have no idea why this is but it has served me well over the years and seems to be an enjoyable way to read it. This is not a conscious choice and I do not read any chapters more intently than others, it just happens that my attention is focussed more on the travels and troubles of different characters at different readings of the books.

Home cinema would have to be a hell of a lot more interactive to be able to do that with the films!

Monster Magnet