View Single Post
Old 21st January 2014, 12:25 AM
Cult Addict

The Backwoods.
A Spanish/British horror thriller set in (extremely) rural Spain in the late 70's. Gary Oldman and Paddy Considine play friends and apparently former business associates on holiday with their wives to Oldman's recently purchased holiday retreat in the arse end of Spanish nowhere. While out hunting they come across an abandoned farmhouse and find a feral young girl chained up in a padlocked storeroom. They take the girl back to Oldman's gaff and pretty soon (as you'd expect) the local Deliverance boys turn up looking for her. I actually quite enjoyed this terribly flawed film. It's atmospheric and moody. Unfortunately the characters are all made over the shop. Considine's missus is absurdly moody and miserable for no reason that the film can be arsed to explain while Oldman's wife is just plain pointless. There's a lot of heavily implied back story with the characters that again is not expanded upon in the slightest. I'm not sure what it is I enjoyed now thinking about it but I did find it quite watchable.