View Single Post
Old 6th February 2014, 07:57 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linbro View Post
'Rewind This!' - doco about the rise and fall of VHS, told via directors, distributors, cover artists and collectors.
I loved this, but I'm probably the perfect age for it - I was born in '72, so can remember our first VHS player/recorder and the impact it had.
Told from the US point of view, with a couple of trips to Japan, I would have liked a bit of UK action, but you soon realise it's a universal experience.
Lots of extras, including a cool piece about Laserdisc, a format that I bypassed. (Unfortunately)
The feeling of nostalgia was full on, as I remembered weekly trips to the rental shop with my dad.
And, there is some truly awful direct-to-video stuff on show. So bad, it's terrible!
Ah the halcyon days of VHS.

My main memory's were rooting through filthy cardboard boxes at car boots and scouring every cash converters across the country (I did a lot of travelling with my folks late eighties-nineties as a kid) and finding all sorts of gems. Cash converters Bedford had Verhovens 4th man! The old embassy pre-cert release! Others in Cambridge and london netted me titles like devonsville terror and scaremaker (aka girls night out)

Finding obscure titles was actually a real challenge and part of the fun.