View Single Post
Old 3rd March 2014, 12:03 PM
Cult Don

ECT – EPISODE 2 – 19th April 1985 – TORME, ROGUE MALE, GIRLSCHOOL, WAYSTED

First on were TORME featuring the guitarist Bernie Torme who found fame in the early 80s as the lead guitarist for GILLAN, the successful chart bothering band fronted by former Deep Purple mainman Ian Gillan.. Also in the band was Phil Lewis. the charismatic former singer from glam metal sensations GIRL, Later, Lewis departed for the USA and fame and fortune with the band LA GUNS.

Here are TORME opening the show :

The second band featured in the episode were Rogue Male. They made a small impact for a year or two, were the darlings of Kerrang! Magazine.. then disappeared.

Here’s their performance

Then came Girlschool, already minor legends following their successful collaboration with Motorhead. Girlschool kept the momentum going through the early 80s and by this point they were heading towards a more melodic approach (as many bands were craving some chart success!). I saw them a couple of time, both as support for other bands: The Blue Oyster Cult and Gary Glitter!!!!! I also saw them under the name 'Strange Girls', with Toyah Willcox on vocals!

Finally and headlining the show, another band who made a minor splash in the mid 80s. WAYSTED were formed by successful former UFO bassist Pete Way and the enigmatic frontman Fin. Sort of a heavy rock version of Rod Stewart, if you can imagine – yes, he was great. Fin was ultimately*replaced as WAYSTED then went for a more radio friendly approach. Didn’t do much for me from that point*and they ultimately*lost their way and broke up.

I saw them as a support act with Iron Maiden

Anyway here’s the real WAYSTED their peak… get ready to rock!!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Last edited by Susan Foreman; 3rd March 2014 at 12:27 PM.