View Single Post
Old 21st March 2014, 07:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Himiko (1974)
This was recommended to me indirectly by one of my followers on Letterboxd who described it as "somewhere between The Holy Mountain and Horrors of Malformed Men". Therefore, despite having a massive back-log of stuff to watch and an ever-expanding watch list, I decided to bump this one up to the top of the queue. I'm very glad I did as the description was quite accurate in a lot of ways and this was truly a feast for the senses. Fantastic and elaborate sets, the surrealistic, and breath-taking scenery all meld together in what is one of Shinoda's masterworks.

8/10
Is this available DVD or BD? Or did you watch it online? I saw a few people talking about this recently, and being a fan of Masahiro Shinoda (Assassination, Double Suicide and Silence) I'd be keen in owning a copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Anguish (Angustia) (1987)
A film within a film... with a film in that film too (!) Ridiculously demented psycho-killer thriller complete with gratuitous eyeball removal, hypnotic suggestion aplenty, and an ominous snail loving over-protective mother. A true joy to revisit!

8/10
I really adore this film! I have the German BD release, and it's very decent. Even the extras are english friendly. I hear the director originally wanted to make this in 3D, which would have been pretty surreal. It already has a delirious quality. Such a gem.