View Single Post
Old 22nd March 2014, 07:47 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Porky's (1982) Porky's II The Next Day (1983)

Time hasn't really been kind to the Porky's films. Although i'd seen the infamous first film many moons ago, i'd on the whole forgotten what happened and i hadn't seen the sequel at all. Neither film was stimulating or rousing with barely a laugh in either, nor much in the way of titillation. For a film supposedly titled after a strip joint there wasn't an awful lot of tease going on. I'm sure in the early eighties the films captured the hearts, imaginations and groins of a generation of American youths but as a first time viewing in 2014 the films fall well short. Perhaps their impact has been eroded over the last decade or so by the American Pie series and the countless imitations and rip offs trailing in their wake, but the Porky's films felt very tame and had no cutting edge with only a small percentage of jokes hitting the mark. I'm not convinced the fifties setting helped their cause, however period settings never hindered classics such as Dazed and Confused so perhaps this argument fails straight away.

Basically the Porky's films have long since been left behind in the high school comedy stakes. The scripts felt tired, the acting was uninspired and in the end they were just a bit boring. Shame really as i was hoping for another Animal House and they never came close.
Add to that the equally uninspired third outing 'Porky's Revenge' (1985)