View Single Post
Old 8th April 2014, 11:24 PM
Active Cultist

My favourite Giallo films are :
Orgasmo, 1969, Umberto Lenzi.
This came out around the same time as Bird im not sure which came first. The story revolves around a beautiful widow ( Carroll Baker ) who is seduced by a hip younger bloke ( Lou Castel ). Things take a sinister turn when his sister arrives unexpectedly.
Bird with the Crystal Plumage, 1969, Dario Argento.
Wether or not this is the first Giallo or not its certainly the most influential. I must try and get a decent copy of this.
Torso, 1972, Sergio Martino.
You could argue this is more horror than giallo but i consider it the latter. Very influential film in many ways and the scenes where the lead character ( Suzy Kendall )is hiding in the bedroom are thrilling.
The Psychic, 1977, Lucio Fulci.
I just seen this recently so its very fresh in my mind, this is more a traditional thriller than Giallo. I think this may be Fulci`s best work, its certainly up there with Zombie Flesh Eaters and better than Lizard in a Womans skin and Dont Torture a Duckling in my mind.
Nine Guests for a Crime, 1977, Ferdinando Baldi.
This is a less celebrated but very entertaining gory tale set on a remote island where a dysfunctional rich family are holidaying at the family villa until a face from the past returns..... the recent Camera Obscura dvd is well worth checking out even if a tad expensive.
A Blade in the Dark, 1983, Lamberto Bava.
This latter entry into the genre had me captivated the first time i saw it on a Vipco dvd. This is Bava jr best film in my opinion. I have recently ordered the Blue Underground version on a Midnight Movies compilation along with Shock and Macabre.
These are just a few there are many others tho i consider the likes of Suspiria and Inferno horror films rather than Giallo. As for one i would give a miss Cold Eyes of Fear is one of the most boring films i have ever had the bad fortune to sit through. I can see why Castellari made mainly action films.