View Single Post
Old 20th May 2014, 12:32 AM
Cult Addict

The strange colour of your body's tears

strange.jpg

Rented this Arthouse/Giallo hybrid from amazon.

I really enjoyed it but if you're looking for a story that makes sense you might as well forget it.
As with Amer by the same directors what we get is a film full of Giallo/horror style images that look stunning, interlaced with tunes lifted from cult films.

It's best to just let the film just wash over you, I thought i had the meaning all tied up for a moment near the end but then lost it again.
Definitely a film i will pick up when it hits dvd, and if you enjoyed Amer you should give this a watch, there's more dialogue in this but not enough to distract from the visuals.
The opening sequence titles and first main track really got a hold of me and as with Amer it's the interesting camerawork that gripped me, the music based scenes are beautiful and beguiling.
I also love all the architecture used that reminded me of early Argento films, and there are many nods to Giallo/ horror i noticed, notably What have you done to Solange?,Blood and black lace, New york Ripper, Macabre, House by the cemetery, Inferno, Tenebrae. (at least i think so anyway).
Sure it's style over substance but i can live with that.
I do think that if the filmmakers combined their style and visual sense with a slightly more coherent storyline we could have a real masterpiece on our hands one day.

Recommended 8.5

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.