View Single Post
Old 7th September 2014, 08:48 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Evilspeak (1981)

Evilspeak (1981)
Sorry to Mr B.E. for jumping the gun on to the E's but i watched this again last night so its still fresh in my head-box.
I remember watching this eons ago in those hazy crazy days of the 80's,beta-max i believe I had at the time,a bloody great big piano of a machine which i got from my parents after they bought a whammy all singing all dancing Vhs machine.
Any how little Ron left to his own devices rented everything that look the business,and Evilspeak had a rather fetching cover if i remember correctly.
I don't think I had watched it since those halcyon days of yore,so this recent re-visit was filled with some trepidation,could this film live up to those gory blood lusting days of my teenage years.
And I was pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable this horror revenge tale was and how absorbed I got with Clint Howard's put upon character (Stanley Coopersmith). Even his little puppy gets a pummeling,so its hardly surprising he would turn to computer inspired satanism to get revenge.
Even the fact that his computer and monitor was the size of a bungalow did not put me off this movie,and the graphics which were rudimentary at best even then, works within the confines of the story.
I think what sell's the movie for me is Clint Howard,who puts in an Oscar winning performance,he goes thru all the usual agonies of being bullied by his peers and takes refuge within the basement of the church within the military academy he's at.We also get some great characters in supporting roles,R.G Armstrong as Sarge a drunk bullying caretaker,and Lenny Montana as kind hearted chef who takes pity on Stanley Coopersmith and gives him a puppy.
The director Eric Weston gives us a real class act with this film,the story and characterization are spot on,the film has pace , pathos and gore.
What more do you want,answers on a postcard send to Cult Labs please mark for the attention of Dems.