View Single Post
Old 3rd October 2014, 03:04 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
First day of grimmfest.

house at the end of time

Venuzelan gothic melodrama. Leaps between an aged women released from jail back to her decaying house and 30 years previously when the killing/dissappearance occured. Enjoyable and difficult to review without revealing its twists. Highly enjoyable and worth seeking out.

truth or dare

Nice to see a quality genre outing from a female director. Jessica cameron. It involves a group of youtube video makers chasing sensation for hits get taken hostage by their no 1 fan. Naturally things get nasty and their fan forces the group to participate in an increasingly deadly game of truth or dare. This one provoked its share of walkouts and i suspect it may have a rough ride at the hands of the bbfc. Incredibly tense and very nasty stuff indeed.

she

Short film with almost no dialogue and a spectacularly nasty ending. Interesting and well made but not sure what the film was actually trying to say.

julia

Rape revenge meets a female orientated take on fight club. Looks like ms45 as imagined by david fincher or michael mann. A young clinician is gang raped and seeks therapy from a bizarre cult that turns her into a deadly killer. Genuinely odd and beautifuly shot i really enjoyed this in spite of some flaws. Reccomended.

the well.

A post apocalyptic western where a young girl attempts to protect her home and supplys from a powerful water baron. Low budget but very entertaining the plot has shades of heavens gate. Well worth a watch.

the herd

Well shot and acted short that makes a somewhat clumsy and generalised attempt at depicting the horrors of the meat industry. Perhaps im just grumpy but it was one of those films i could tell was made by vegans.

let us prey

Visually impressive horror with a real john carpenter-esque soundtrack and visual style. Liam cunningham plays a stranger who turns up in town and quite literally unleashes hell. One of the best in show so far and highly reccomended.

suburban gothic

Richard bates jnrs follow up to excision plays more like a 90s indie movie with horror elements mixed in with a hal hartly/richard linklater vibe. Uses its 90 minutes to pick apart suburban racism and millenial angst. Personally i found it very funny indeed. Will certainly pick it up on release.

You going to see Suspiria with the live Goblin score tonight?