View Single Post
Old 3rd October 2014, 05:56 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Disconnected (1983)

Disconnected tells the tale of identical twins Alicia and Barbara-Anne; the latter of whom seems to delight in messing about with the former's boyfriends (and any man she comes into contact with too). Parallel to Alicia and Barbara-Anne's confrontations and relationship escapades we also have a deranged killer mutilating and murdering women, along with Alicia's freakishly bizarre surreal crank telephone calls driving her to the point of madness.

Despite its core plot points, Disconnected is far from your atypical '80s low-budget slasher fare largely thanks to the overall tone and mood of the film, which whilst difficult to pin down in a descriptive sense was a fascinating experience to behold. Whilst the film certainly treads the slasher trail to some degree, it also comes across as an experimental work in many respects steeped in its own odd brand of aesthetic weirdness. The seemingly tacked on police investigation is presented in an almost documentary like state at times too, which further enhances this film's bizarre vibe.

I got more than I bargained for with Disconnected, and whilst it won't be to everyone's tastes - slasher fans not withstanding - I'm personally glad that I stumbled across this little '80s curio.

Originally posted here: Nightmare USA Films Discussion Thread