View Single Post
Old 12th October 2014, 02:47 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

This is pretty much what I took your post to mean Vipp, except I class Exploitation as a multi-tiered genre entity which whilst encompassing some horror, is more style driven and includes all manner of genre films. Genre is subjective though of course.

Exploitation is a completely different scenario as sex and nudity was a very big factor in films of this type - often being the core theme, but exploitation as a genre is pretty much dead nowadays and these pseudo 'grindhouse' exploitation films hardly cut it when compared to the grimy oddball sleaze-fests of yesteryear. They go all out to 'force' the exploitation aesthetic, which in turn leads them to fail as you can't truly reproduce a product of a different time and mentality.

As I mentioned before, my feelings are that nudity in general horror especially nowadays is just a needless device that pushes the envelope to reel in the teen audience and entices them go and see the latest bland piece of shit from Platinum Dunes et al, just because some bimbo who can't act gets topless. This is why it is certainly not a necessity for me.